[ltp] Re: thinkpad-sources-2.6.26

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 03 Aug 2008 14:31:45 -0400

> I sit on aeroplanes all the time, often long haul flights so battery life is
> very important.  I understand that there is no powerplay support on radeonhd
> yet. I have a X1300/RV515.

> I would love to ditch fglrx...

Don't know about your situation, but on my T60, the lowest power
consumption I can get is with either the vesa or the radeonhd driver.
It was a good 2W lower than with fglrx, no matter what magic incantation
I used with fglrx.

I get the impression that the fglrx driver's power management is only
able to reduce the power used by the GPU, and that the vesa and radeonhd
drivers don't even turn it on.  Of course maybe more recent versions of
radeonhd (with more 2D and 3D acceleration) now turn it on and hence
consume more.

        Stefan