[ltp] RE: svideo output on thinkpad z61e

Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:33:28 +0100

Bryan Moore wrote:
> i'm sending this to both mailing lists because, frankly, i'm not sure
> to which it belongs.
>
> i've followed the following pages' directions and have successfully
> "turned-on" my svideo out to the television:
>    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_Graphics_Media_Accelerator_950
>    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Sample_Fn-F7_script
>    http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html
>
> one catch: it's in black and white. okay, well, two catches: it's in
> black and white and not the resolution i set-up in xorg.conf. i don't
> care too much about the resolution issue if i can get it in color...
> any ideas?

Quite often, TVs set to the wrong region will partly cope with the
signal, but you get it in a degraded manner, often failing to black and
white. Are you sure you have PAL/NTSC/SECAM set correctly on both the
output, and the TV?

Also, when you talk about "the" resolution, you probably have to go with
whatever is native for the TV - note that there are (at least) 3 other
possible gotchas:
   - under/overscan
   - widescreen vs 4:3
   - TV "pixels" aren't square.
       Eg PAL contains 576 lines x 720 cols, BUT on a PC, you need to
       display this as 576 x 768, since TV pixels are a bit wider than
      they are high, and otherwise you get noticeable distortion.
     Mplayer and friends *sometimes*  auto-correct this for you, and
     sometimes they don't!

Richard

P.S. If you've not done this before, you'll notice horrible
"comb-distortion" aka "mice teeth". This is related to
interlacing/de-interlacing. http://100fps.com/