[ltp] battery and capacity loss

Nils Faerber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:37:47 +0200

Riccardo Paterna schrieb:
> Hi to all,
Hi!

> i have an ibm x60 with the latest bios (2.17) I bought it on december
> 2007 and my battery lose a lot of his capacity with acpitool -B i have
> this output :
>
> Remaining capacity : 18590 mWh, 100.0%
>     Design capacity    : 37440 mWh
>     Last full capacity : 18590 mWh, 49.65% of design capacity
>     Capacity loss      : 50.35%
>     Present rate       : 0 mW
>     Charging state     : charged
>     Battery type       : rechargeable, LION
>     Model number       : 93P5028
>     Serial number      :  3383
>
> I think that capacity loss is to high for less than one year ...
> some one can give me some suggestion please?
> Do i have to do warranty for the battery?

Try, but they refused for mine and I even had technical reason...

I have the same X60.

There are two major points here:
1. The newer Lenovo standard batteries they ship with their devices are
really bad. They loose more capacity than the replacement bateries you
will buy after your's is defect. Great, isn't it?

2. The default charging threshold of the X60 SMAPI is something like
99%, i.e. whenever you disconnect your laptop from AC and reconnect it
it will start a charge cycle. This *will* kill your capacity rapidly.
Set this to something like 90% or 85% using tp_smapi. This should at
least double your battery life-time. Additionally take care not to fully
discharge your battery. If you can, recharge at about 25% to 30%.

I have to admit that I am not very pleased with the latest Lenovo
hardware nor service. This has been better with IBM - way better. And
IBM would not have allowed such a rediculously low charging threshold
either...

> Thanks  a lot
> Bye
> Riccardo
Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535