[ltp] Re: battery and capacity loss

Nils Faerber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 22:19:25 +0200

Riccardo Paterna schrieb:
>> I have the same X60.
>>
>> There are two major points here:
>> 1. The newer Lenovo standard batteries they ship with their devices are
>> really bad. They loose more capacity than the replacement bateries you
>> will buy after your's is defect. Great, isn't it?
>>
>> 2. The default charging threshold of the X60 SMAPI is something like
>> 99%, i.e. whenever you disconnect your laptop from AC and reconnect it
>> it will start a charge cycle. This *will* kill your capacity rapidly.
>> Set this to something like 90% or 85% using tp_smapi. This should at
>> least double your battery life-time. Additionally take care not to fully
>> discharge your battery. If you can, recharge at about 25% to 30%.
>
> Nils your suggestions is very good i disconnect and reconnect my laptop
> to ac often ...

That might have been the reason, yes.

> Now lenovo send me a new battery, can you tell me how to set the
> threashold so the new battery will have  a good life-time

Oh, gee...
What you need is a part from the TP-CTL project:
	http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpctl
more specifically
	http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/tp_smapi

Browse the sites above and follow their instructions. If everything
works well and you have loaded your new kernel module you should be able to
	echo 85 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/start_charge_thresh
	echo 98 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/stop_charge_thresh

Those are my "sane" settings.
I start chargin if the level is below 85% - that is halfway safe, as far
as I know.
And I also stop earlier - I do not really care about the last 2% of
capacity but those are the ones the batteries get a little upset about.
So I save the stress from my battery and spare the last 2% I do not care
about.

Hope this helps!

> Thanks a lots
> Cheers
> Riccardo
Cheers
  nils faerber

--
kernel concepts GbR      Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48  Fax: +49-271-771091-19