[ltp] Re: battery and capacity loss

Wed, 13 Aug 2008 22:45:22 +0200

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 16:53:43 +0200, Riccardo Paterna wrote:
> > I have the same X60.
> >
> > There are two major points here:
> > 1. The newer Lenovo standard batteries they ship with their devices are
> > really bad. They loose more capacity than the replacement bateries you
> > will buy after your's is defect. Great, isn't it?
> >
> > 2. The default charging threshold of the X60 SMAPI is something like
> > 99%, i.e. whenever you disconnect your laptop from AC and reconnect it
> > it will start a charge cycle. This *will* kill your capacity rapidly.
> > Set this to something like 90% or 85% using tp_smapi. This should at
> > least double your battery life-time. Additionally take care not to fully
> > discharge your battery. If you can, recharge at about 25% to 30%.
>
> Nils your suggestions is very good i disconnect and reconnect my laptop
> to ac often ...
> Now lenovo send me a new battery, can you tell me how to set the
> threashold so the new battery will have  a good life-time

1. install tp-smapi (if not already shipped, depends on your distro)

2. modprobe tp-smapi

3. echo <percentage> > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/start_charge_thresh

Do 2. and 3. at every startup.

See http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi for details.

I use 20%. At this point I get at least one hour out of the battery of
my X61s. After this, the battery is charged if AC power is connected.

Regards,
Tino