[ltp] X61 or X61s (loud fan)

Christian Fromme linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:11:16 +0200 (CEST)

> Which kernel version?  If it is 2.6.26 or later, you have a broken kernel
> that makes thermal issues worse...  it causes the X60 to overheat easily
> if
> it has either one of the more powerful CPUs or not-so-good thermal sink
> (the
> kernel is not downclocking the CPU when it gets too hot).  I wouldn't be
> surprised if it also causes problems for the X61.

I am running 2.6.25-686 from the Lenny archive. I dont think it's the CPU
heat. CPU stays around 40-50 degree most of the time. The wireless card
seems to be the cause for the heat at the right handrest. The X61s has a
different wireless card. Maybe it's cooler.

> The X61s should be a LOT more silent (but it has a less powerful CPU)...
> but you might have a X61 that has an especially bad fan (or badly seated
> thermal sink), and replacing them might be enough (instead of replacing
> the
> entire laptop).   Ask your supplier about it.

I am a bit drawn forward and backward. Some people are reporting that the
X61 is *very* quiet to them. Maybe it's just my crappy fan. It seems like
you never know the machine until it sits in front of you, whatever some
tests and reports say.

> The X60s and X61s have ultra-low-power CPUs, they really draw less power,
> and therefore they have less heat buildup.  They are supposed to be more
> silent because of that (unless the fan or thermal sink is bad in a
> particular X60s/X61s).

The CPU is the main reason why I initially decided to go with the X61
instead of the X61s. 2,4GHz compared to max. 1.8GHz is an argument for me.
But working on a loud and hot machine isn't fun either. :-/

> But you really need to stay on 2.6.25.y on thinkpads right now, or you
> need
> 2.6.26.3 + ACPI thermal fix patch (which should be in 2.6.26.3, but isn't.
> I suppose it will be on 2.6.26.4).

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I think I might stick to the X61 for now
and see what sending it back into Lenovo might do to the fan. If it
doesn't help, I'll get a X61s.

Thanks,
Christian