[ltp] X61 or X61s (loud fan)

Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:39:25 -0300

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, Christian Fromme wrote:
> You can get rid of the heat at least partly with:
>
> # iwconfig wlan0 txpower 10
>
> or similar. Help on mine.

txpower 5 selects battery mode (the one that saves more power AFAIK), but
any of them (on a card that supports it) will help.  It *will* decrease WiFi
throughput, obviously.

> After writing back and forth with my supplier www.business-laptops.de who
> was *very* helpful and great, I decided to give the X61s a try. It'll
> arrive next week and I will write a follow-up to tell you how I got along.

Just make sure to use it with 2.6.25.16 (not 2.6.26.x, x < 4), and to use
the very latest BIOS (if the box comes with Windows, don't wipe it out at
first.  Run it and let it update the entire box.  I will even suggest that
you keep a windows partition around to compare Linux behaviour with Windows
behaviour for a while, until you are secure on the knowledge everything is
acting as it should in Linux).

  Henrique Holschuh