[ltp] X61 or X61s (loud fan)

Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:44:01 +0200

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:36:00 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

[...]

> The X60s and X61s have ultra-low-power CPUs, they really draw less power,

Following the Intel speak, they actually use "low power" CPUs,
therefore the L prefix (L7500 in my X61s). The "ultra low power" CPUs
use the U prefix, and can only be found in really expensive and really
lightweight notebooks (usually more expensive and lighter than the
X6*s).

Nevertheless, I can use my X61s for heavy compiling jobs that take ~30
mins or more, and it doesn't get too hot for me under the palm rest. I
don't have any comparisons with a normal T CPU that is used in the
non-s types, but I think that according to the higher thermal design
power of the T CPUs compared to the U CPUs, they cause much more heat
especially when the CPU is fully loaded for a longer period.

Regards,
Tino