[ltp] X61 or X61s (loud fan)

Fri, 22 Aug 2008 10:34:59 +0200

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 18:15:28 +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 04:11:16PM +0200, Christian Fromme wrote:
> > I am running 2.6.25-686 from the Lenny archive. I dont think it's the CPU
> > heat. CPU stays around 40-50 degree most of the time. The wireless card
> > seems to be the cause for the heat at the right handrest. The X61s has a
> > different wireless card. Maybe it's cooler.
>
> Not sure if you have fingerprint reader, but some people indicated that
> it was overheating too. I don't remember the fix (maybe
> usb.autosuspend=1 or something like that) but it may be worth trying.

This wasn't enough in my case. I had to manually enable autosuspend for
that specific USB device, since the power level was set to "on" by
default instead of "auto". I tried to do that in a udev rule, but even
this didn't work (I had cases where the device was still set to "on"
after this).

As it seems to be unsecure anyway (at least the fingerprint reader
of the T43 has been hacked with a faked fingerprint by some guy at the
Chaos Communication Congress), I just disabled it in the BIOS.

Regards,
Tino