[ltp] Mysteriously non-working presentation remote

Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:20:30 -0400

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 10:42:42PM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> I have a Logitech presentation remote, one of those doohickeys that
> lets you advance your slides without standing at the keyboard.  It has
> a little USB dongle that plugs in and acts as a HID keyboard.  It used
> to work just fine; last time I used it was about a year ago, and since
> then I've reinstalled, etc.
>=20
> The weird thing is that now, when I plug said dongle into my X60, the
> kernel does not notice.  It doesn't work, and it doesn't even show up
> in lsusb:
>     ~$ sudo lsusb    # without device plugged in
>     Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>     ~$ sudo lsusb    # with device plugged in
>     Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>     ~$

Do you see any error messages in dmesg, when you plug it in?

> It doesn't matter which of the usb ports I use -- same result.
> However, if I plug in a USB storage device, then it is detected
> properly and works perfectly (again, it doesn't matter which usb port
> I use).  So that would suggest that my computer is fine and the
> presenter is simply broken.
>=20
> Except... if I plug it in to another computer (tested both a friend's
> mac, and my wife's T61), it shows up and works perfectly.
>=20
> So somehow there is something mysteriously broken with the
> *combination* of my X60 and the presentation remote.

If I'm not mistaken, USB1 and USB2 devices are handled by different
hardware controllers (ohci/uhci and ehci).  One of those might be broken
on your laptop.  I had a T42 with that problem.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
A secret: don't tell DARPA I'm not building the sun destroying weapon they
think I am.
        -- Michael Salib, the author of Starkiller

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS--