[ltp] tpfand configuration for an X200s

Christoph Bier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 01 Dec 2008 18:52:33 +0100

Hello,

I use Ubuntu 8.10 on an X200s and after a while the fan is
constantly running (the TP starts without the fan running). Other
users suggest to use tpfand. I installed the Ubuntu package (but for
8.04, version 0.94) via apt-get. Either I do not understand how to
configure tpfand or it does not work (I can not find any
documentation but [1]). When I choose to manage the fan by software
and use the default settings of the general profile (running fan
when temperature is more than 15°C on any of the sensors), initially
the fan doesn't run even if every sensor shows more than 40°C. But
then after a while the fan starts running and doesn't stop until I
shut the TP down---so it's just the same as tpfand wasn't working.
If you have a look at this screenshot [2] you'll see that "Control
system fan by software" is activated but actually it's hardware
controlled (system was rebooted many times since I configured
tpfand). Did I miss something?

Another very important question: To which hardware component each of
the sensors (Sensor 0, Sensor 1, Sensor 3, Sensor 8, Sensor 9)
corresponds?

Best
Christoph

[1] http://www.gambitchess.org/mediawiki/index.php/ThinkPad_Fan_Control