[ltp] Re: tpfand configuration for an X200s

Tue, 2 Dec 2008 10:21:11 -0200

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008, Christoph Bier wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh schrieb:
>> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008, Christoph Bier wrote:
>>> If you have a look at this screenshot [2] you'll see that "Control
>>> system fan by software" is activated but actually it's hardware
>>> controlled (system was rebooted many times since I configured
>>> tpfand). Did I miss something?
>>
>> I suggest you do a throughout test of thinkpad-acpi fan control on your
>> x200s.  Read the documentation for thinkpad-acpi, and try out setting each
>> of the fan levels.  You should find at least three different speeds, plus
>> off.  After that, test the "disengaged" mode as well.
>
> Ok, thanks for your suggestion.
>
>> Then, tell us what you find :-)
>
> Sure. But it will take some time.
>
>>> Another very important question: To which hardware component each of
>>> the sensors (Sensor 0, Sensor 1, Sensor 3, Sensor 8, Sensor 9)
>>> corresponds?
>>
>> You'd need to open a X200s to find out (and also cooling spray).  This info
>> shows up usually 3 years after a model is out, when warranties run out and
>> people start mucking with their thinkpad for real...
>
> Uhm. :-( Is there only one sensor for the CPU or two for each of the cores?

The sensors you get from thinkpad-acpi are discrete thermal sensors, located
in the various parts of the mainboard, inside battery packs, etc.

For sensors inside chips, like the ones inside the CPU, you need to use
other hwmon drivers, or look at the generic ACPI thermal zones (which might
be doing anything), etc.

  Henrique Holschuh