[ltp] Re: tpfand configuration for an X200s

John Li linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 3 Dec 2008 21:58:30 -0500

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 12:37:48AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Dec 2008, Christoph Bier wrote:
> > Would it be helpful to check against the fan's behaviour under Vista?
>
> Yes, but you HAVE to also keep track of the thermal sensors, so you
> will need to install something in vista that discloses them.
>
> I *really* doubt Vista is doing any fan control. But Lenovo's vista
> drivers might well be doing something that keeps the thinkpad
> internals cooler.

Can you say how likely would this be? Since under Linux, the system
does seem to consistently draw /at least/ ~2.5W more, maybe the fan
"issue" is really just a heat generation/dissipation issue.

How should we go about contacting Lenovo about these issues?

Aside from threshholds and heat generation, though, I think there's
still a bug somewhere: after the fan speeds up, even when temperatures
become lower (lower than when the fan was at ~1900), the fan still
spins at ~3500. Kernel issue? thinkpad-acpi issue? The problem doesn't
happen in Vista, so I wouldn't think it'd be a hardware/EC/BIOS issue.

Or is the fan speed determined by something other than the numbers we
can see with thinkpad-acpi's thermal readings?

Thanks,
John