[ltp] Re: tpfand configuration for an X200s

Christoph Bier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:29:02 +0100

Volker Krüger schrieb am 05.12.2008 08:25:

> Hi all,
>
> could it be possible that lenovo's powermanagement is overriding
> the bios fan control (among other things)?
>
> could someone investigate if there is a difference in power
> consumption between the ordinary visa (w/o lenovo drivers) and
> lenovo's vista (with lenovo drivers)?
>
> It could be that the ordinary vista uses as much power as linux,
> right?
>
> Another possibility is that the bios is used differently by vista
> and by linux: The bios might very well have a bug which might not
> come apparent under vista... How much does the X200s consume
> under XP or win2000?

I just installed PFControl under Vista and the fan isn't constantly
running. Now it runs at about 2300--2400 RPM. Temperatures:

CPU: 36°C
Board: 38°C
GPU: 34°C
Bus: 36°C
Mini PCI: 39°C

And right now the fan stopped! With the temperatures above ... But
even with

CPU: 43°C
Board: 38°C
GPU: 38°C
Bus: 38°C
Mini PCI: 40°C

the fan is still not running. For about 20 minutes now and I used
the thinkpad for searching menus, viewing pictures etc. (it's my
first Windows PC since Windows 95 ;-)). And I did no power
management fine tuning! Only WLAN, Bluetooth and WWAN are
disabled---but they are, too, under Linux. PFControl shows that the
fan is controlled by the BIOS controller. I guess there's potential
improvement under Linux.

Best
Christoph
--