[ltp] Re: tpfand configuration for an X200s

Sun, 7 Dec 2008 21:18:13 -0200

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008, Elias Oltmanns wrote:
> Please keep in mind that there is not a trivial correlation between
> temperature readings and fan speed. In particular, hysteresis enters
> into it which can be easily observed on my X40. When I keep working for
> a long time with active wlan but otherwise restricting myself to
> lightweight tasks like reading emails, browsing the web, etc. and the
> fan starts spinning eventually (this only happens in a reasonably warm
> environment), then it won't stop for a very long time. On the other
> hand, when I compile the kernel which challenges the CPU as well as the
> HD, then temperature readings rise quickly and the fan gets into gear
> accordingly. Quite shortly after compilation has completed, the fan
> stops spinning at temperature readings that are well above the
> thresholds that would have caused the fan to stop in the first scenario.

Hysteresis is all and good, but what you describe is an outright bug in the
firmware...

But a X40 will change the target RPM speed of the fan levels depending on
battery state, etc.  You can see it in the ACPI DSDT.  Other ThinkPads
(including newer X models) can't do it (from ACPI, at least).

  Henrique Holschuh