[ltp] Re: General question on BIOS update

Christoph Bier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:36:17 +0100

Dan Maranville schrieb am 10.12.2008 17:18:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 09:18, Christoph Bier <christoph.bier@web.de> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> browsing ThinkWiki I found the suggestion to always have an up-to-date BIOS.
>> My wife's R60 is about two years old and hasn't seen any BIOS update since
>> then. Is updating safe according to functionality under Linux? I'm not sure
>> because on my new X200s thinkpad_ec doesn't load so I can not benefit from
>> tp_smapi. But on my wife's TP it works like a charm. I'm afraid of breaking
>> this functionality by updating the BIOS.
>>
>> Best
>> Christoph
>
> As the old adage goes "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

But if it wasn't broken Lenovo wouldn't release a fix?!

> I personally would review the documentation and weigh the benefits of
> the upgrade.

After reading [1] I do not upgrade my TP anyway. For my wife's TP
upgrading seems to be much easier.

[...]

Best
Christoph