[ltp] tpfand configuration for an X200s

Erik Olsson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Dec 2008 06:26:09 -0800 (PST)

We are a group of new Thinkpad X200 owners that have the same fan problem as
described.

After doing some research, we found out that by disabling the Ericsson WWAN
card on our machines before starting X the fan problem goes away.

Here is the procedure, complete with interesting output from dmesg :-)

1. Start machine, don't start the X server.
2. As root, echo disable > /proc/acpi/ibm/wan
(dmesg output: ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: dma_pool_free buffer-2048
ffff880077c46000/77c46000 (bad dma))
3. Start X server.

This seems to suggest that the problem somehow is related to the WWAN card.
Any pointers? It is nice to have located the problem, but we really would
like to be able to use our WWAN cards too...

/Erik