[ltp] Re: New thinkpad recomendation

Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:10:55 +0000

Christoph Bier wrote:
> Yves Dorfsman schrieb:
>> Christoph Bier wrote:
>>
>>> I liked it, too, but couldn't get the webcam to work. And you should
>>> beware that you get at most a Core 2 Duo with 1,4 GHz. For me that
>>> was just too slow.
>>
>> Because the type of work you do with it, or even for just basic
>> gnom/kde + Firefox + OOO stuff ?
>
> Just for basic stuff, VirtualBox, and for compiling LaTeX documents.
> Though you only need to start TB and FF once it annoys me to wait.
> Basically I hate it to wait in front of my PC, be it starting Nautilus
> or some other programs not constantly running. Compiling LaTeX documents
> can be time consuming---depending on size, usage of microtypografic
> features and stuff.

Well, if you have enough RAM, start them in the background, on a
different virtual desktop, niced and ioniced. A bit of clever scripting
will make this automatic, and you can have the programs you need ready.
Even if your script subsequently closes them, they'll stay cached in
RAM. Useful places to start are kstart, wmctrl, and (maybe) devilspie.
As for the latex docs, why not write a script to rsync it to your main
pc, compile, and rsync back...might be quicker!

Richard