[ltp] T61: no power button key event when using evdev driver / HAL for keyboard configuration

Sat, 13 Dec 2008 13:05:13 +0200

--0lnxQi9hkpPO77W3

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 06:20:18PM +0100, Jens Rutschmann wrote:
> since the synaptics driver switched reading configuration options from=20
> xorg.conf to HAL in recent releases I tried to cleanup my xorg.conf a bit=
=20
> by removing all input related entries there.
>
> After commenting out the keyboard entry from the "ServerLayout" section=
=20
> as well as the complete keyboard "InputDevice" section I realized that=20
> the key event of the power button doesn't work any longer.
>
> Though I can't get any event using "xev" I do get output in both=20
> "acpi_listen" and "input-events 0".
>
> When HAL is used for keyboard configuration then the "evdev" driver is us=
ed for it.
> My "InputDevice" section in xorg.conf uses the "kbd" driver instead and=
=20
> in that case the power button works perfectly. Though when switching the=
=20
> driver there to "evdev" the button no longer works.

This sounds familiar.

Thinkfinger, a driver for the fingerprint scanner in ThinkPads, creates
a virtual uinput device to simulate the press of Enter after you swipe a
finger.  HAL classifies that device as a button rather than a keyboard
because it has only one key in its input mask, and, apparently, X or
evdev then ignores it.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thinkfinger/+bug/256429/comments/=
29

Marius Gedminas
--=20
It's my understanding that although in principle TCP can handle huge
throughputs in practice many stacks haven't been optimized for that case, so
you have to either use a utility which opens multiple TCP sessions in paral=
lel
or do something really radical like upgrade to the latest version of the li=
nux
kernel.
		-- Bram Cohen

--0lnxQi9hkpPO77W3