[ltp] T61: no power button key event when using evdev driver / HAL for keyboard configuration

Jens Rutschmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 01:18:35 +0100

Marius Gedminas wrote on 13.12.2008 12:05:
> This sounds familiar.
>
> Thinkfinger, a driver for the fingerprint scanner in ThinkPads, creates
> a virtual uinput device to simulate the press of Enter after you swipe a
> finger.  HAL classifies that device as a button rather than a keyboard
> because it has only one key in its input mask, and, apparently, X or
> evdev then ignores it.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thinkfinger/+bug/256429/comments/29

Do you think that the power button device isn't reported (by HAL) as input
device to xorg because it only contains a single key?

My xorg log seems to confirm this as it lists as input devices only the
following (in the same order as below):

(**) ThinkPad Extra Buttons: Device: "/dev/input/event7"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ThinkPad Extra Buttons" (type: KEYBOARD)

(**) TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint: Device: "/dev/input/event9"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint" (type: MOUSE)

(II) config/hal: Adding input device SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.99.2
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event6"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad" (type:
TOUCHPAD)

(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event5"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" (type:
KEYBOARD)

(**) Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM): Device:
"/dev/input/event8"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse
with IntelliEye(TM)" (type: MOUSE)

(**) Video Bus: Device: "/dev/input/event4"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Video Bus" (type: KEYBOARD)

(**) Video Bus: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Video Bus" (type: KEYBOARD)

According to the log, HAL does not report these input event devices:
/dev/input/event0: Power Button (FF)
/dev/input/event1: Lid Switch
/dev/input/event2: Sleep Button (CM)

Seems to confirm this assumption. Is there already a respective bug report for
HAL or xorg that I can use to track that issue?

Best regards,
Jens