[ltp] T61: no power button key event when using evdev driver / HAL for keyboard configuration

Jens Rutschmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:56:26 +0100

Marius Gedminas wrote on 15.12.2008 07:53:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 08:44:07AM +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
>>> Seems to confirm this assumption. Is there already a respective bug
>>> report for HAL or xorg that I can use to track that issue?
>> I don't know of any, and a quick search in http://bugs.freedesktop.org/
>> found nothing.  I don't think I understand this issue enough to file
>> one.  Are "button" devices supposed to be treated as keyboards by X.org?
I'm neither familiar with this stuff.

> To clarify, on my laptop the power button is not listed among X.org's
> known input devices (xinput list), but when I press the power button, a
> logout dialog shows up on my GNOME desktop.
>
> I never wondered how that's implemented.  Perhaps an ACPI event?
Probably, the ACPI event is still working. Another possibility is that your
distribution uses the "kbd" driver which also handles the key events of the
power button.
As I'm using Gentoo, I set up the xorg.conf manually and also the handlers for
the power and sleep buttons. The sleep button *used* to create key events, but I
didn't check that when trying the evdev configured xorg keyboard since my sleep
button handler works with the ACPI event daemon.

I'll try playing around with the FDI files this evening.

Best regards,
Jens