[ltp] Ubuntu 32 vrs 64 bit

Daniel Castro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:35:51 +0000

------=_Part_5370_25926123.1229348151694

Hello hello,

I have a T61 with the Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 2GHz of Ram, Intel video 14.1,
Atheros wifi.
I have been on Ubuntu since 7.04, and always running the 64 bit versions. On
previous versions, (previous to 8.04) setting up some programs was a bit of
a pain in the behind (java, flash), but I find that after 8.04 everything
runs just fine.
I am about to format and reinstall 8.10 (I like clean installations not
upgrades...) but I'm wondering if there is really a significant difference
between running 32 or 64 bit. I'm running 8.10 on my T61p at work and on
some other laptops in the lab and it runs just fine as well. I couldn't tell
the difference.
>From reading forums and stuff it seems like the majority of people agrees
that the performance improvement of running 64 bit is not that much unless
you have more than 4GHz of RAM (don't ask me why...), and that software
support is much better on 32 bit.
What do people in this list say? Be cool and hard core with 64 bit or be
conservative and safe with 32 bit?

Cheers!

--

Daniel Castro, M.Sc.
+353 083-318-2058
dancasmo@gmail.com
castromd@tcd.ie

------=_Part_5370_25926123.1229348151694

I am about to format and reinstall 8.10 (I like clean installations not upgrades...) but I&#39;m wondering if there is really a significant difference between running 32 or 64 bit. I&#39;m running 8.10 on my T61p at work and on some other laptops in the lab and it runs just fine as well. I couldn&#39;t tell the difference.<br>