[ltp] Re: tpfand configuration for an X200s

Christoph Bier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 16:09:07 +0100

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh schrieb am 01.12.2008 22:18:

> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008, Christoph Bier wrote:
>> If you have a look at this screenshot [2] you'll see that "Control
>> system fan by software" is activated but actually it's hardware
>> controlled (system was rebooted many times since I configured
>> tpfand). Did I miss something?
>
> I suggest you do a throughout test of thinkpad-acpi fan control on your
> x200s.  Read the documentation for thinkpad-acpi,

I read the documentation for thinkpac-acpi. But I should say that
there were many things I did not understand.

> and try out setting each
> of the fan levels.  You should find at least three different speeds, plus
> off.  After that, test the "disengaged" mode as well.
>
> Then, tell us what you find :-)

I find that I can't change the fan levels:

root@skull-tp:~# echo 'level 1' > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
root@skull-tp:~# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
status:         enabled
speed:          0
level:          auto
commands:       level <level> (<level> is 0-7, auto, disengaged,
full-speed)
commands:       enable, disable
commands:       watchdog <timeout> (<timeout> is 0 (off), 1-120
(seconds))
root@skull-tp:~# echo 'level 7' > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
root@skull-tp:~# echo disable > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
root@skull-tp:~# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
status:         enabled
speed:          0
level:          auto
commands:       level <level> (<level> is 0-7, auto, disengaged,
full-speed)
commands:       enable, disable
commands:       watchdog <timeout> (<timeout> is 0 (off), 1-120
(seconds))

Did I do anything wrong?

[...]

Best