[ltp] 4 GigaBytes in a thinkpad T61p

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:40:16 -0800

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 04:11:59 -0600
Jay C Vollmer <jvollmer@visi.com> dijo:

> Greetings.
>
> Is anyone out there successfully using 4 Gigabytes of RAM under 64-bit Linux
> on a ThinkPad T61p?
>
> I've read of all sorts of problems on this system under 64-bit Vista.
>
> I've been running fairly contentedly under 2G on 64-bit openSuSE, but I'd
> like to add more RAM.  Incidentally, Crucial has a 4G upgrade for less than
> $50.00.
>
> Does anyone out there in Linux-thinkpad land have any topical wisdom to pass
> along?

I am utterly devoid of wisdom. :(

However, I do have questions. My Thinkpad T61 runs Ubuntu Intrepid
x86_64. It has 2GB of RAM installed. It came with 1GB and the Lenovo
dealer I bought it from installed 1GB additional as I waited at the
counter when I bought it. I assume both are genuine Lenovo. Certainly I
have never had a problem.

When you said "Crucial has a 4G upgrade for less than $50.00" it made
me think. I know my T61 can take 4GB of RAM and, if RAM is that cheap,
I'd like to upgrade it to the full 4GB. Checking Crucial's website they
list 4GB packs for the T61 in both 667 and 800 speeds. They are the
same price. But I'd rather buy locally when I can and when the prices
are decent. So I called the local Fry's store and they had a 4GB pack
(two 2GB SODIMMs) from Corsair for $39.99. I bought them.

However, they are still sitting here on my desk uninstalled. The reason
I have not installed them is that Corsair's website says the T61 will
take only 667 speed. Note that Crucial's website offers both 800 and
667 for the T61. I don't want to install the ones I bought only to have
them melt my motherboard or blow up. I have a 15-day return privilege
at Fry's.

So does anyone know if two 2GB DDR2 800MHz SODIMMs will work in my T61?