[ltp] Replacing the backlight of the thinkpad LCD

Ted Frater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Dec 2008 01:42:53 +0000

cupaxe wrote:
> Hello fellow LTP members,
>
> My screen recently went blank on my thinkpad UXGA 15" after providing
> me with 4 years of honest service. Since I have run out of the IBM
> service warranty, I have the options, in increasing order of
> preference:
>
> a) buying a new laptop.
> b) buying a new monitor screen, available from
> http://www.thinkpadmedic.com/, cost: $300.
> c) replacing the backlight opening up the monitor screen, available
> from http://www.ccflsurplus.com/lareba.html, cost: not sure.
>
> The reason I think it is the backlight that has gone bad is because it
> works fine immediately after I start the laptop and 5-10 min after
> that, goes blank. It doesn't go completely blank though- I still can
> faintly see the underlying windows on the screen.
>
> I have never attempted option c before but have experience replacing
> the fan, putting thermal grease on cpu, etc.
>
> I would be delighted if you could share your experiences and other
> tips you might have for me.
>
> Thanks,
> Krishna

Sounds like the inverter.
 You dont say which thinkpad you have ,
but the inverters are usually behind the tft screen bezel at the bottom
of the screen.
they are held in place with a small screw and has an in plug and out plug.
 For an experienced laptop techie a 5 min job to change.
 Ebay is your best bet for a replacement. Find a power seller to get one.
 Now changing the back light on a tft panel is quiteabit tricker.
 Again for an experienced techie about 30 mins.
 Tho get the inverter changed first.
Also you dont say where you are. Like a lot of repair jobs on anything
is who you know thats important.
 Im in theUK and if you were near Id do it for you.
 Ted
 Thinkpad repairer and supplier.
 Dorset UK.