[ltp] Mounting new Ultrabay drive

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:26:21 -0800

My new adapter and 500 GB Samsung drive have arriven! I Installed the drive into the adapter, plugged it into my T61, and used gparted on my Intrepid x86_64 operating system to make one partition out of it and format it ext3 (465 GB). So far so good. I made a folder /media/disk2 and mounted it there.

Now I want it mounted there automatically on boot, so I need to add it to fstab. But what if the CD/DVD drive is in the bay when I boot? Here is my current fstab:

proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/sda2
UUID=afba6df9-befb-4643-a209-841c2476a989 /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro,relatime 0       1
# /dev/sda1
UUID=b9dcb4d9-cb1e-42be-8869-ae0624b08f31 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0       0

Using tune2fs the UUID for the new drive is ead5354d-a2a8-4858-904c-753be3b65cf1. Can someone tell me how to edit the above fstab so whatever is in the Ultrabay will be automatically mounted at boot, yet not give me error messages about the other device being missing or hang the boot process? Also, can the optical and hard drive be hot swapped? If so, how?