[ltp] Mounting new Ultrabay drive

Wed, 17 Dec 2008 02:47:15 +0000

> I rebooted and the 500 GB drive was in Places on the Gnome panel. Then
> I just pulled it out and reinserted the DVD drive. I put a DVD in it
> (Out of Africa, which I plan to watch later tonight) and closed the
> drive door. After waiting a moment I went to Places and sure enough Out
> of Africa was listed. Then I pulled the DVD drive and put the 500 GB
> drive back in. After waiting a minute the 500 GB drive was available
> and Out of Africa was gone. No need to mount/unmount manually. Yay!
>
>> P.S. Note that you can't unmount a device which is busy. So make sure no
>> programs are accessing it, or have their current directory on it.
>
> Point taken.

Glad it's working. Just to note:
   Data CDs/DVDs  and Hard drives (and USB sticks) all require mounting
   and unmounting. You *must* properly unmount them (Gnome probably has a
   GUI for this) before you eject, or bad things will happen.

   Audio CDs, video DVDs, and CD-Rs which are being burned do not get
   mounted. You can just pull them out.

If you find that you can't unmount a particular device, then use the
"fuser" program (as root, or sudo) to find out which process has locked it.

Also, if you're going to do this lots of times - what's the insert/eject
lifetime of the ultrabay connector?

Richard