[ltp] Mounting new Ultrabay drive

Wed, 17 Dec 2008 04:05:08 +0000

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 02:47:15 +0000
> Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> dijo:
>
>> Also, if you're going to do this lots of times - what's the insert/eject
>> lifetime of the ultrabay connector?
>
> Beats me. However, I don't plan to do it more than once a week, more or
> less. The purpose of the new drive is to hold backups. I'll probably
> put the DVD drive in only when I take the computer with me to other
> locations. It should hold up for the remaining life of the computer.

If you're backing up to a drive in the same computer, beware. You are
protecting against a disk failure, but not against:
   - loss, theft
   - catastrophic hardware failure
       (one of my desktops had a dud psu, which put 240V on the 12V line)
   - serious OS trouble (eg virus; admittedly unlikely on Linux)
   - brain errors (formatting the wrong drive, etc).

Regards,

Richard