[ltp] Fn + F5 disconnects WLAN

Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:49:01 +0200

--SkvwRMAIpAhPCcCJ

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 09:27:10PM +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 11:22 +0200, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 04:40:35PM +0100, Christoph Bier wrote:
> > > on my X200s running Ubuntu 8.10 pressing Fn + F5 to disable
> > > bluetooth also disconnects WLAN permanently. I thought that only
> > > bluetooth would be deactivated by pressing Fn + F5.
> >=20
> > Ubuntu's acpi scripts make Fn+F5 cycle through four modes:
> >=20
> >   wifi on, bluetooh on
> >   wifi off, bluetooth on
> >   wifi on, bluetooth off
> >   wifi off, bluetooth off
> >=20
> > (I might have the order wrong.)
>=20
> this is what i observed as well. is it possible to change the behaviour
> so, that it only affects bluetooth? since the wlan led doesn't work with
> 2.6.24, it's hard to tell, in which state the 'radios' currently are.

Ah.  WLAN LED works for me (kernel 2.6.27-7-generic, iwl3945 version
1.2.26ks), but I hear you anyway.

> having to reconnect wlan, because i wanted to turn off only bluetooth,
> is very time consuming. i find the four-step solution not very
> practical.

I've configured Fn-F6 as the Bluetooth toggle key:

    # /etc/acpi/events/ibm-bluetooth
    # This is called when the user presses Fn-F6 button and calls
    # /etc/acpi/bluetooth.sh for further processing.

    event=3Dibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001006
    action=3D/etc/acpi/bluetooth.sh

and

    #!/bin/bash
    # /etc/acpi/bluetooth.sh
    # Enable/disable builtin Bluetooth on IBM Thinkpads

    if grep -q enabled /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth; then
        echo disable > /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
    else
        echo enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/bluetooth
    fi

At one point I also had to fiddle with the thinkpad_acpi hotkey mask to
get Fn-F6 to send an ACPI event, but it doesn't seem to be necessary any
more in Ubuntu 8.10.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
"Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)"
(Linus Torvalds, about his failing hard drive on linux.cs.helsinki.fi)

--SkvwRMAIpAhPCcCJ

--SkvwRMAIpAhPCcCJ--