[ltp] X200 Battery Life

Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:48:27 +0100

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 19:43:50 -0800, n0rdik0 wrote:

[...]

> 5. How can this be possible? Is it fixable somehow?
> - What on earth is Lenovo doing on Windows to make such a big difference?
> With disks spinning it's 8 - 5.3 = 2.7 Watts!! Almost 50% more on linux!! Is
> there any way to ask them for help with this? Is there any way for me to
> help figure it out?

As Lenovo just buys standard hardware (mostly from intel), and AFAIK
uses standard Windows and its drivers, and windows driver writers are
either working at intel or getting information from Intel, I would say
it is Intels job to put its knowledge regarding its own hardware and
powersaving into Linux, or at least provide the information required to
do this.

Other things may be features which are hard to achieve with current
Linux software. For instance, I read that Windows clocks down the TFT
refresh rate and the graphics chip dramatically if nothing happens on
the screen.

Regards,
Tino