[ltp] Re: tpfand configuration for an X200s

Sat, 20 Dec 2008 21:38:57 -0200

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, Christoph Bier wrote:
> Yes, see the subject ;-). Removing tpfand solved it. Thank you very
> much!

Urk. I should have noticed it.  Well, what's done, is done.

> So, once again ... you asked me do a throughout test of
> thinkpad-acpi fan control on my x200s and tell you what I find. I
> can set different levels---but the numeric ones from 0 to 6,
> 'disengaged', and 'disabled' last only for about 3 seconds then
> level goes back by itself to 'auto'; level 7 remains until I set a
> different level. 'full-speed' is ignored. Here's some data:

Looks like tpfand programmed the fan watchdog.  Just disable it, and the
levels will stick (and allow for easier testing):

echo 0 > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/thinkpad_hwmon/fan_watchdog

(or you can unload thinkpad-acpi and load it again with tpfand stopped :P)

Then you can redo the tests and the fan will stay at each level, and after a
small while you can see the RPM for that level (the fan may take some
seconds to change speed).

Disengaged might take a longer while to be noticed, though.  In a T43 it
takes several seconds to ramp up the fan to full speed, and while it is
doing that it won't even update the tachometer.  Other thinkpads behave a
bit differently.

> Fan speed significantly changed only with level 7 and 0 and
> 'disable' and 'enable'; but only level 7 remains.

Just disable the fan watchdog, and levels will stick around enough for the
fan to respond :)

  Henrique Holschuh