[ltp] X200 Battery Life

n0rdik0 linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 20 Dec 2008 13:03:08 -0800 (PST)

Andrew Mason-9 wrote:

> Can you please detail what you have done to get that figure. I can't
> get anywhere close to 6watts. I have made lots of changes to the
> kernel, gone through lesswatts.org and still can't get below an
> average of 9 unless I turn the wireless off, in which case i can get
> around 8.
>
> If you have some time this would be awesome as 6-7W is a big saving on
> what I have.
> Thanks in advance.

No problem. There may be some non-obvious stuff that you might have not
tried.
- First, the obvious ones: laptop-mode (disk spinning down), brightness to
minimum, radios off.
- With powertop, apply all the suggestions. I use it to activate usb
autosuspend, but you can look the command and do it manually. Kill unused
programs as some deamons unused NetworkManager/wicd, apache if you don't
need it, etc. KDE4.1 is a battery killer, knotify4 uses a 100Hz timer.
KDE4.2 is fixed, but it's in beta, use better KDE3 or GNOME.
- Turn min power on sata links:
"for i in /sys/class/scsi_host/*/link_power_management_policy; do    echo
min_power > $i; done;"
- Turn off the HDMI ports. Yes, they is one activated consuming something
0.3W:
"xrandr --output HDMI-2 --off". The HDMI number may vary, test it with
"xrandr", the active is the one with an * next to one of the modes.
- Turn on the audio autosuspend. Also, mute the sound with the button.
"echo 5 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save"
- Just in case, turn on PCIe powersaving (you may need a custom kernel):
"echo powersave > /sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy".
A trick I use is to start Vista, turn on the "battery maximizer" and then
restart. I'm not 100% if it's beacuse of this, but after doing this restart,
I can take it down to 6.7W minimum. After restarting, the minimum is 7.1W,
with a usable config around 7.5W: wifi on (echo 5 >
/sys/class/net/wlan0/device/power_level) and brightness 3/15. That's around
11hours with the X200s.
If I remember something more (I don't have a script right now, so I may have
forgotten something) I'll update the thread.