[ltp] X200 Battery Life

n0rdik0 linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 20 Dec 2008 13:16:23 -0800 (PST)

Andrew Mason-9 wrote:

> Can you please detail what you have done to get that figure. I can't
> get anywhere close to 6watts. I have made lots of changes to the
> kernel, gone through lesswatts.org and still can't get below an
> average of 9 unless I turn the wireless off, in which case i can get
> around 8.
>
> If you have some time this would be awesome as 6-7W is a big saving on
> what I have.
> Thanks in advance.

Oh, one more thing!
You may turn off the fan, but ONLY if you are going to do light tasks.
Otherwise, use a script to monitor the temperature and turn it back on if
neccesary. It's not a recommended thing, but I found it pretty unharmful IF
you take care, use the watchdog and monitor the temp carefully. Keep in
mind: any process on your system could get in an infinte loop and rise the
processor use to 100%. Here is the code:
rmmod thinkpad_acpi
modprobe thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1
echo level 0 > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
It's around 0.2W saving. The temperature rises 5-10 deg. C, doesn't get
anywhere near an uncomfortable level, it gets as hot as it is when on AC
power.