[ltp] acpi_osi

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:13:50 +0200

--IpbVkmxF4tDyP/Kb

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 02:28:11PM +0100, Rolf Kutz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> out of curiousity I tried booting with
> acpi_osi=3DLinux. The only relevant change in the
> dmesg output was this (T60, Core2 T7200):
>
> <  CPU1: Thermal monitoring handled by SMI
> ---
>>  CPU1: Thermal monitoring enabled (TM2)
>
> What does it mean and what would be the better
> choice?

It means the ACPI firmware gets to see 'Linux' as the string identifying
your OS.  What that means depends entirely upon the writers of the
firmware, which usually only test Windows.

IMHO the better choice would be the default, i.e. not setting acpi_osi
explicitly and letting the kernel determine what is best.

> Does acpi_osi=3DLinux has any
> advantage/disadvantage?  Is it usefull?

It might be useful as a workaround for specific pieces of hardware, but
other than that, no.

Disclaimer: I'm only regurgitating what I read on the Internet (so it
must be true).

Marius Gedminas
--=20
I used to be an agnostic, but now I'm not so sure.

--IpbVkmxF4tDyP/Kb

--IpbVkmxF4tDyP/Kb--