[ltp] anyone got a good tpfand profile for X201?

Andrew Mason linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:02:12 +1030

I don't think anyone disagrees with the need to fix them in the
firmware or kernel. The problem as users is that (at least for the
X200 -series ) we have units that :

1) use too much power
2) spin the fan too much

and until someone who understands how these things work can work out
how to reduce either / or of the problems we have no choice but to
find work arounds.

The kernel devs on the list are being very helpful and working very
hard, however until they can get their hands on an X200(s) and
experience the issues themselves, its going to be very difficult to
work out what the problem is. The lenovo guys have obviously done a
very good job on the vista driver and without help from them its
already a pretty steep ask of the kernel guys. So i think its likely
that most people are going to want to find work arounds. Reducing the
fan spin up is the only thing that extends the battery life close to 2
1/2+ hours.