[ltp] T42 issues powering off lcd with setterm

Dave Wood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Dec 2008 17:43:39 +0000

On (11:29 26/12/08), Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> put forth the proposition:
>On Thu, 25 Dec 2008, Dave Wood wrote:
>> I have a problem getting the lcd screen to power off on my T42 via setterm
>> command.
>
>Look in the documentation for the kernel, for the escape sequence that
>enables DPMS.  Any thinkpad display will shut the backlight off when the
>system kicks it to DPMS state "off" (and probably also if you set it to
>hibernate, DPMS has four states: on, sleep, hibernate, off.  off and on are
>obvious, sleep and hibernate have different requirements for standby power
>and latency to switch back to "on" (unlikely to matter in an LCD).

I found the codes for setting powerdown time but it doesn't work either.
Looks like I'm stuck with this script for now. Perhaps having a look at the
code for xset might shed some light as 'xset dpms force off' works fine. I
couldn't find anything in 'man console_codes' that specifically forced the
screen off - only codes for setting blank and powerdown times.

>On the usual misguided attempt to make it better for people that buy crap,
>Debian, Ubuntu and others disable DPMS on the text console by default :(

Luckily I'm running Slackware. I had this working fine on my old T21, it's
this T42 is being a pain.