[ltp] initial state vs. state transitions

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Dec 2008 06:37:06 -0900

It seems like a fairly normal thing to want to put the graphics card in
low-power mode when I'm not connected to a power source and maybe turn
off bluetooth when I'm not docked, but AFAICT Linux doesn't support
these sorts of state couplings very well.  There's plenty of framework
for handling the transitions -- e.g. when I undock I can turn off
bluetooth -- but what about handling the fact that I may not power up
the machine in a dock?  I definitely don't want to poll for this sort of
thing with a cron job because that will prevent me from easily
overriding the state (e.g. turning bluetooth back on when I am still
undocked).  I don't want to have to set all of these things up in two
places.  How do people handle this stuff?

TIA,

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing