[ltp] Re: Ubuntu 8.10 w/ T60p and FireGL 5250

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Dec 2008 04:21:29 -0900

on Fri Oct 31 2008, Bill Moseley <moseley-AT-hank.org> wrote:

> When I first got this laptop I was using the fglrx driver and had fast
> glxgears and compiz working but failed to resume after sleep.
>
> After an update to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS I'm now using the Xorg ati driver
> thanks to this list and this link:
>
>      http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9951
>
> That fixed sleep, but compiz isn't supported and I was told on the
> forum that I needed a newer xorg server for compiz.
>
> I saw someplace that 8.10 has a newer xorg server.
>
> Has anyone installed Ubuntu 8.10 on this hardware?  Anything special
> needed or will I finally be able to run this video card on the 8.10
> packages?
>
> Anything else I should be aware of before upgrading?

For what it's worth, fglrx suspend/resume works perfectly (**) for me
with compiz as long as I'm using this fix:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer/+bug/197209/comments/87
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer/+bug/197209/comments/88
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer/+bug/197209/comments/89

(**) The only thing that really annoys me still is that fglrx adds about
25 seconds to the time it takes for the machine to enter sleep.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing