[ltp] initial state vs. state transitions

Tue, 30 Dec 2008 12:20:32 -0200

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, David Abrahams wrote:
> on Mon Dec 29 2008, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh-AT-hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Dec 2008, David Abrahams wrote:
> >> Does this setting of the initial state trigger acpi or pm state
> >> transition hooks?
> >
> > No, and it wouldn't help that much, for various reasons, the main one
> > being that it is hard to get this right, and applications would still
> > need to do special processing to request the first event, and to wait
> > for it before doing anything else.
>
> I'm not sure what "applications" means in this context.  I'm talking
> about the sort of things that typically get installed in
> /etc/pm/power.d, /etc/acpi, and /etc/udev

Applications in this context means "something you wanted to do with a single
script, but now I am telling you you need at least two ;-)".

> [By the way, it's almost impossible for me to keep track of these
> different mechanisms, and they seem to be proliferating.  Is there
> somewhere a guide that ties them all together conceptually?]

Yes: HAL.   You can do all the ACPI and uevent processing in HAL, it listens
to both.

> >> My concern is that to say "put the system in state X when on battery
> >> power" seems t require installing a transition hook and... something
> >> else.  What, I am not sure.
> >
> > I personally go with initscripts, because I do like these things to be
> > tied to the system and acpid.
>
> Wow, yet another pathway.  I am familiar with initscripts but in my
> experience they usually start and stop server processes.  How would I
> use initscripts with power transitions, etc.?  Or are you suggesting
> that initscripts are just used to handle startup states?  Then what
> about transitions out of suspend/hibernate?  Should I really be
> installing *three* sets of hooks?

I use initscripts to handle startup states.  And yes, you may end up needing
the THREE sets of hooks you mentioned :(

  Henrique Holschuh