[ltp] Copying Windows XP to a new disk

Fri, 01 Feb 2008 02:27:17 +0000

bhaskins@chartermi.net wrote:
> ---- Timothy Murphy <gayleard@eircom.net> wrote:
>> I have a new 160GB Seagate disk I want to install in my ThinkPad T43,
>> to replace the 40GB disks presently in it.
>> I can put the disk temporarily in the Ultrabay.
>> But what is the best way then to copy my Windows XP partition
>> from the old disk to a larger partition on the new disk?

One option: there is a way to use a (free-beer) tool from vmware to
convert your existing installation of Windows into a virtual machine.
You can then run this VM as a guest from within either vmware, or (k)qemu.

If you care about the utmost speed, or some unusual device drivers, this
may not work. However, for occasional use, it's a good solution, and
will even save you dual-booting.

HTH,

Richard