[ltp] Copying Windows XP to a new disk

Shinichi Sakata linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:28:34 -0800 (PST)

Though I am not too sure, I think that I used partimage to move a XP
partition to a new larger disk.

  1. Boot up XP and run chkdsk (sorry, I don't remember the menu item
     for "chkdsk" in XP).

  2. Normally shutdown the system.

  3. Boot up Linux.

  4. Save the partition of the current disk by using partimage (I put
     the partimage files in a large partition of the new disk).

  5. Put the new disk in Ultrabay and partition it in the way you
     like.

  6. Restore the XP partition onto the desired partition of the new
     disk by using partimage.

  7. Run "ntfsresize -i" on the NTFS partition to check integrity.  If
     the result looks OK, run "ntfsreszie -v -n" to see if resizing
     the partition correctly. Finally, "ntfsresize -v".

I hope that this resolves your problem.

  Shinichi Sakata