[ltp] X60 - (bad) experience, others?

Ari El linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 12:16:07 -0800 (PST)

I have an X60s (1702, Core Duo (not core2)) with and 8-cell battery pack.

What I'd say is: the bad experience on the X60s is with Linux. The machine
itself is awesome.

I've had it for a year and a half; with WinXP it is really fast for most
purposes, runs cold, and after all this time it is still giving me 8 to 9h
of battery life when used for writing (word) and light surfing (wireless
on), 30 or 40% brightness. Consumption averages an awesome 7.5W, and I've
seen it going to 6W with wireless off. It wakes up from hibernation in 15
seconds or so. And all this is with no SSD drive... yet!

I installed dual-boot Linux in the x60s the day I bought it, and kept
re-installing all new ubuntu releases. Everything basically works (save for
the fingerprint reader, although I heard it is possible to make it work).
Even after tweaking, power consumption averages 10 to 11W for the same usage
pattern as above.

I bought the machine to carry it around, so I'm still booting winxp on it. I
can't wait for the day linux will give me a comparable battery life. I
switched to linux in every other machine at the office and at home, but not
in my x60s, yet.

I'm sure  powertop, the tickless kernel mode and other good work of intel
and other folks will eventually trickle down the chain and we will
eventually get there. I thought this was going to faster though.