[ltp] Re: weird occasional freezes on my thinkpad r60

Nathan Templeton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:47:47 -0900

Peter Jordan wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh, 01/29/08 02:44:
>

>> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Peter Jordan wrote:
>>
>>> I have weird occasional freezes on my thinkpad r60 (debian lenny, kernel
>>> 2.6.24 (and earlier), thinkpad_acpi, tuxonice, tp_smapi). Most often my
>>> notebook freezes when i plug in the ac-adapter. I don't know, what the
>>> problem is and where to search for. the logs say nothing.
>>>
>> Look at /proc/interrupts.  Is your NMI counter zero?  If not, remove all
>> NMI-causing stuff from your kernel (likely, the NMI watchdog).
>>

> i think so: NMI:          0          0   Non-maskable interrupts
>

>>> Any ideas or suggestions?
>>>
>> Plugging the AC adapter causes a SMI, then ACPI activity (interrupt, etc),
>> then an ACPI event to userspace.  Could be anything, from hardware, thorough
>> kernel, to userspace trying to up brightness, etc.
>>

> Yes, that is why its difficult
>

> PJ

 Hey, just a wag here, but was getting random freezes and other issues
with no real cause that I could see here with my T20(Zenwalk 4.8).
Turned out to be a mucky ram chip.. Went ahead and installed a good
matched pair and everything is great now.. So that might be something to
check.

hth, nathan