[ltp] Re: DRI on ibm t21 SOLVED (not quite)

Marcin Trybus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 05 Feb 2008 11:55:38 +0100

--------------enigBADB6D4820F0A95E0771D634

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Yes, if you ever intend to use a laptop "for a long time", it's really
> worthwhile to max-out its memory sooner rather than later, because
> over time prices starting going up again.
>=20
> This is true of any component which is not compatible with the "latest
> and greatest".  E.g. I expect the prices on PATA 2.5" drives isn't goin=
> to go much further down.

I got lucky, because my T23 came with 512MB RAM leaving the other slot
open for expansion. I don't think I'll upgrade it though as the prices
are steep. Kingston Value 512MB costs around $150 (at least in Poland).
That's 1/8th of a price of a brand new R61 I mentioned!

We had a discussion here some time ago about maximum PATA disk size for
some older ThinkPad. I mentioned that I plan to buy such a disk as a
future replacement for my T23. Since then I monitor the prices, and they
haven't fallen a bit. What has fallen is their availability.

--=20
JabberID: Llewelyn_MT@jabster.pl