[ltp] Ubuntu/Debian on an X61 - my experiences

Ashok Leyland linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 17:58:29 +0000

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 11:22:39PM +0800, Donald P Kong wrote:

[snip

> the only reason i have to triple boot Vista, Debian and Ubuntu now is
> that Debian lacks
>
> 1. good working compiz-fusion. i like the features.

debian packages of compiz-fusion for sid, testing, and stable are at
http://shame.tuxfamily.org/repo/?cat=11

> 2. brightness keys Fn+Home/End is not working perfectly. i don't get a
> smooth transition from keypresses.

I haven't tried to get those working here on my x61s; xbacklight works
well enough

> 3. suspend/hibernate is not working and i'm not sure where to tweak
> though i did get it to work properly on the m700.

in what way? echo disk/mem > /sys/power/state works fine here

> 4. powertop actually sees a higher power consumption
>
> Ubuntu has everything working well except that sometimes wifi goes flaky
> and i have to reboot also on occasions, the machine seems to take a few
> minutes to resume from suspend.

I see that too - there seems to be some delay waking up the hd, I don't
know why; I see stuff in the log like the following, after waking up from
suspend (vanilla 2.6.24):

ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata1.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
ata1.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
ata1.00: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
ata1: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
ata1: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata1.00: ACPI cmd ef/02:00:00:00:00:a0 succeeded
ata1.00: ACPI cmd f5/00:00:00:00:00:a0 filtered out
ata1.00: ACPI cmd ef/5f:00:00:00:00:a0 succeeded
ata1.00: ACPI cmd ef/10:03:00:00:00:a0 succeeded
ata1.00: ACPI cmd ef/02:00:00:00:00:a0 succeeded
ata1.00: ACPI cmd f5/00:00:00:00:00:a0 filtered out
ata1.00: ACPI cmd ef/5f:00:00:00:00:a0 succeeded
ata1.00: ACPI cmd ef/10:03:00:00:00:a0 succeeded
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133
ata1: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
ata1: soft resetting link
ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 611 SControl 300)
ata1: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
ata1: hard resetting link
ata1: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0x80)
ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
ata1: hard resetting link
ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata1.00: ACPI cmd ef/02:00:00:00:00:a0 succeeded
ata1.00: ACPI cmd f5/00:00:00:00:00:a0 filtered out
ata1.00: ACPI cmd ef/5f:00:00:00:00:a0 succeeded
ata1.00: ACPI cmd ef/10:03:00:00:00:a0 succeeded
ata1.00: ACPI cmd ef/02:00:00:00:00:a0 succeeded
ata1.00: ACPI cmd f5/00:00:00:00:00:a0 filtered out
ata1.00: ACPI cmd ef/5f:00:00:00:00:a0 succeeded
ata1.00: ACPI cmd ef/10:03:00:00:00:a0 succeeded
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133
ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133
ata1: EH complete
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 312581808 512-byte hardware sectors (160042 MB)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 312581808 512-byte hardware sectors (160042 MB)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA

The machine does always come back up, after some delay. The first
suspend/resume cycle after a reboot is fast, but thereafter this delay
seems to occur consistently here.