[ltp] X60 - (bad) experience, others?

Nils Faerber linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:47:23 +0100

Theodore Tso schrieb:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 07:41:48PM +0100, Nils Faerber wrote:
>> I basically found the guilty: uhci_hcd!
>> The strange thing is that auto-suspend is enabled (and also on all
>> devices) and that I did not have to remove it for getting 9.5W with
>> 2.6.22. So something from 2.6.22 -> 2.6.24 changed in uhci_hcd and the
>> change was not good, i.e. causing the CPU not entering C3 in 70-80%.
>> Again, this was not necessary with 2.6.22...
>
> Hmm, I've never had auto-suspend work well (or at least I never
> trusted it), so I've always unloaded the USB drivers for maximum power
> savings whenever I was in airplane mode; after all, in airplane mode I
> don't really need anything connected to the USB bus, anyway.  So I
> never noticed a problem, because I was always unloading uhci.

Perfect - called the Lenovo/IBM Service today and they told me:
Linux is not a supported OS and I shall first install Windows to check
if Windows-XP power off also drains the battery.
What a sh*t!
Off is off and there should be no Windows-XP off or Linux off.

Now I have to find a spare 2,5" SATA drive to install that crap-OS just
to see how Win-XP switches off the machine. Perfect. That means at least
two days unusable machine, one for installing Crap-OS and one for
waiting for the battery to drain (or not).
And only if I can say that Win-XP also drains the battery they will allo
me to send the machine in for repair.

Sorry, but this machine is driving me crazy :(
First you have to very carefully watch your software not to burn power
and now I find that the Lenovo service takes Linux as top excuse for
everything. They even did not care to ask which version of Linux -
"Linux installed? We do not support that, you are on your own.". I guess
if some day the backlight breaks they would would also claim it is
Linux' fault.

> 						- Ted
Cheers
  nils faerber

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535