[ltp] Workarounds and tips for thinkpads running 2.6.23/2.6.24

Yves-Alexis Perez linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 07 Feb 2008 14:14:55 +0100

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 01:06:16PM +0000, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Feb 2008, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> > > Report the backlight level thing to the X.org people, please.
> >
> > You mean opening a bug to the Debian BTS (or x.org buzilla)?
>
> X.org bugzilla.

Ok, I'll do that

> > > As for turning off the backlight, ACPI cannot do it on thinkpads.  Neither
> > > through thinkpad-acpi, nor through ACPI video.  This is very, very unlikely
> > > to change.
> >
> > Hmh, but why?
>
> Because there is no standard way to do it through ACPI, and Lenovo didn't
> provide any non-standard way we know of.
>
> > > If you want to turn the backlight off, by all means use the X.org code and
> > > not the kernel.
> >
> > If xorg can do it, why can't the kernel?
>
> The *kernel* can, but the right place for it would be the framebuffer
> drivers for the Intel and ATI cards.  ACPI video.c and thinkpad-acpi can't,
> they have no business writing to GPU registers, or even knowing which GPU
> you have...

Hmh well maybe they could talk one to each other. In any case, the user
doesn't really need do know, but the os should be able to provide the full
backlight range.
--
Yves-Alexis