[ltp] Workarounds and tips for thinkpads running 2.6.23/2.6.24

Theodore Tso linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 13:49:06 -0500

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:40:11AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Feb 2008, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> > btw, using xbacklight to control the brightness, I can notice that,
> > using ???kernel??? interface in xrandr (the default one here), I can set
> > brightness to some quite bright maximum, but can't shutdown the display.
> > Using ???native??? interface, I can shutdown the panel but the maximum
> > backlight is a lot less bright than in ???kernel???. I guess I should use

The best way to shut off the panel is "xset dpms force standby"; works
today, and as Henirque points out, totally independent of the kernel.

What I normally do is the first time I unplug from the AC mains, the
brightness drops, so I do an "echo level 15 > /proc/acpi/ibm/brightness",
and then unload the video module.  That way I make sure I don't run
into the problem where ACPI has turned down the brightness partially,
which prevents the X drivers (via xbacklight) from getting the
brightness all the way.

Sigh, right now the brightness control, what with what the GNOME/hal
layer is trying to do, the different ACPI drivers, and X all fighting
with one another, is a total nightmare/disaster.

						- Ted