[ltp] Don't trust the kensington lock socket

Thu, 07 Feb 2008 23:19:18 +0000

Dear All,

Some slimebag just stole one of our company laptops, which was an R60e
thinkpad, used for video-streaming and transcoding. It was locked to the
desk with a kensington lock. The lock itself remains undamaged, and in
the locked position, but the thinkpad is missing: the thief quite
clearly just ripped it away from the lock, tearing out the socket in the
corner of the laptop.

On another note, I need to replace it: are the R61s generally OK with
Linux? A lot of people seem to be having Linux trouble with X61 and T61
models. I do need a fast core2-duo CPU, and preferably intel graphics
and it must have a sensible 4x3 screen (eg 1024x768), rather than the
increasingly common shortscreen (erroneously marketed as "widescreen")
monitors.

Regards,

Richard