[ltp] Don't trust the kensington lock socket

Fri, 8 Feb 2008 01:35:24 +0200

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 11:19:18PM +0000, Richard Neill wrote:
> Some slimebag just stole one of our company laptops, which was an R60e
> thinkpad, used for video-streaming and transcoding. It was locked to the
> desk with a kensington lock. The lock itself remains undamaged, and in
> the locked position, but the thinkpad is missing: the thief quite
> clearly just ripped it away from the lock, tearing out the socket in the
> corner of the laptop.

I once saw a short video on YouTube demonstrating how you can open a
Kensington lock with a roll of toilet paper (no, really!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D0SkKJ4yOKo8

> On another note, I need to replace it: are the R61s generally OK with
> Linux? A lot of people seem to be having Linux trouble with X61 and T61
> models. I do need a fast core2-duo CPU, and preferably intel graphics
> and it must have a sensible 4x3 screen (eg 1024x768), rather than the
> increasingly common shortscreen (erroneously marketed as "widescreen")
> monitors.

I've a T61 with Core 2 Duo and Intel graphics.  Older distros (Ubuntu
7.04) had problems with it (no video; no disk; one of the CPUs oopses
and is taken offline), but newer distros (Ubuntu 7.10) work just fine.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Doing linear scans over an associative array is like trying to club someone=
death with a loaded Uzi.
		-- Larry Wall

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA

--AqsLC8rIMeq19msA--